NBEMS is used by different agencies and organizations like ARES, RACES, MARS, FEMA, The Red Cross to handle digital traffic (Ex. Radiograms and ICS forms) over the air.
It's definitely a good skill to have in the case of emergency.
Sending such traffic only requires your radio, and a computer with the FLDigi suite installed on it (there are versions for Windows, MacOS and also Linux)
- FLDIGI: the core program
- FLMSG: messaging application that incorporates the Radiogram and other messaging forms. If we are to pass a Radiogram in digital format, you'd use this. You can also use it to type the Radiogram or other messages formats up and generate a text or HTML version.
- FLARQ: a data transfer program
- FLWRAP: allows files to be embedded or 'wrapped' into one transmission and incorporates an embedded checksum for data integrity
- FLAMP: transmits one or more files in one or multiple iterations.
The most important and most used programs are: FLdigi, FLmsg, and FLamp
You can download them from:
- FLdigi: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/
- FLmsg: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/flmsg/
- FLamp: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/flamp/
Also, I would like to share with you the following useful links about NBEMS:
SATERN Alberta Blog - WPA ARES Section Standards for Digital EmComm
A good article to provide context on how we would use the tools in an EmComm scenario. This is the standard being used by ARES.
ARRL Introduction to NBEMS
Another good presentation. This will talk about VHF/UHF as well as HF modes.
Getting Started With FLDIGI Including FLMSG and FLWRAP
This one is a good how-to. It is a couple of versions behind, but it is still very relevant.
There are also some good YouTube Videos:
FLDIGI Tutorial: https://youtu.be/bN2QPZZzkn4
Watch the video a couple of times and take good notes -- this can get you rolling.
Some additional videos:
Getting Started with FLDIGI / NBEMS: https://youtu.be/DNBJnDHCw_M
FLDIGI Set Up & Configuration for New Users: https://youtu.be/FKZapCXJdAw
FLDIGI UI and Basic Operations: https://youtu.be/2HM9vk_zuz0
If you have any questions, or need mentoring for NBEMS, please email me: aly[at]n2sho[dot]com ... I will be more than happy to assist you.